Tuesday 25 January 2011

Germolene


Advantages: Actually does what it claims, works on many uses, relatively fast acting.
Disadvantages: Smell isn't the greatest.
Germolene is something that I have grown up with since a child and as sooth many cuts and grazes over the last few years. It is described to help prevent infection, numb pain and to help healing of cuts and grazes.

The Germolene I own is the cream and it is produced by Bayer, not Beechams as this product listing states. A quick look on wikipedia shows that Bayer bought the brand from Beechams in 1999. The 55g metal tube comes in the blue and white colours that make it so well known. On the front is the name and a very short list of what it can do. The rear states directions for use, uses and the active ingredients.

I often use Germolene on little cuts and grazes that you pick up from day to day life and it clears them up within a day or two. If a plaster is required then I usually place a little spot in the centre of the plaster before applying it to the wound. It can sting a bit when I do this, but it always seems to keep it infection free, numbs any pain and helps the healing.

The cream itself is white in colour as has a smell to it that I associate with hospitals. It is not a nasty smell, but when you smell it you know straight away it must be Germolene. The tube I have has lasted for about 18 months now and has about a third left in it. This is great longevity for a product that should be in everyone's cupboard. It can be used on cuts, grazes, minor burns, scalds, blisters,stings spots and chapped skin. In the last few days I have started trying it out on spots to see how effective it is fore this use. I apply it after a shower and rub a tiny amount into the spot and the local area. It leaves no marks or noticeable smells and I have noticed that the spots have gone down considerably in only a couple of days.

I do find that it is good to reapply it every few hours as it can be rubbed off it it is under clothes, plus it won't do you any harm to reapply it. It should only be used externally as it will probably cause problems if you eat it.

Overall it I have found it to be a brilliant product that is well worth the cost of it (~£2). If you have never tried it before then I would highly recommend you adding it to your bathroom/bedroom cupboard as it comes in handy so often.

For it's many uses and because it actually does what it says on the tube, I shall give it 5/5.
Summary: Should be in everyones cupboard.
This review may also appear on Ciao and Dooyoo under the username Qroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment