Wednesday 26 January 2011

Saucony Pro Grid Triumph 7


Advantages: Great colour, reasonably light, good support, comfortable.
Disadvantages: Cost could be off putting for some.
As a runner and triathlete, having a well fitting pair of shoes that suit my running style is paramount to being able to run quickly and comfortably. Ever since I started running 5 years ago, I have used Saucony trainers so buying another pair seemed the natural progression.

Before parting with my cash, I wanted to make sure I had the best shoes that would suit my feet and keep me as injury free as possible. To do this I went down to my local running shop and told the assistant what I wanted. After I had told them what I do, what I want to do etc, they got me on there treadmill and watched how I ran to see if my feet rolled inwards or outwards when I ran. Luckily for me, mine do neither and so I am classed as a "Neutral" runner. The next step was to show me the shoes that would suit my style. As I knew what brand I wanted already this made the choice easier. After looking at the cheaper and more expensive choices I settled on this shoe, partly because the price was right and partly because of the excellent colour.

The shoe itself is primarily bright orange in colour, when new it is like day-glo orange that you see on hi-viz clothing. The orange fabric is mesh like, which helps the shoe to be airy and not get too sweaty. Over the top of parts of this is a silver fabric that is very reflective at night, a brilliant advantage for night runners. The inside of the shoe is all black and cushioned for support and comfort. Each shoe weighs about 340g, which is reasonably good for a shoe of this size and support.

According to there sales information, each shoe includes "ResponTek" which apparently helps to absorb the impact of the foot striking the ground. This is a useful feature if you run a lot as the constant pounding of running can cause damage and injuries if you are not careful. They also include an "arch lock" that secures the foot in position in the shoe to prevent it slipping and therefore helping to minimise blisters.

I've had these shoes for just under a year now and to start with I wasn't too keen on them. Initially I found them to be quite big and cumbersome as the heel and padding is quite a bit more noticeable compared to my previous shoes. After sticking with them I gradually got used to them and found the extra support to be very comforting. I have found these shoes to be very grippy when running across muddy fields and cross country. Despite being a standard running shoe, not designed for cross country primarily, they do provide a solid footing with little slippage occurring. To start with I did experience some blisters but to overcome this I rubbed some Vaseline over the area that caused the rubbing before each run and the blisters soon stopped.

Whilst running in these shoes I have become injured, but that was not due to the shoes. I found that when I started to run again the shoes offered great support and allowed for me to build up the miles on grass with low impact to my shins.

Luckily when I bought this price was not too much of an issue, now that I have a bit less money to spend it is more of an issue. The RRP on these shoes is £95 but luckily I get a 15% discount at my local shop which made the price a lot better. You can find these cheaper than the RRP online or in most running shops though. I'm going to need to replace these shoes soon as the grip is starting to wear out and I think I will get the newer version of this shoe, the Pro Grid Triumph 8. I find the support, comfort and functionality of the shoe makes it well worth the money it costs and if I had bought cheaper shoes I am sure that I would of become injured a lot more.

Now is the time of the year that everyone has there new years resolutions to get fitter or to run more. Personally I would recommend you avoid a gym and buy yourself some well fitting running shoes and get out and enjoy the fresh air. Compared to what you would spend on gym memberships, they are a bargain for the unlimited use you can potentially get from them. Get to your local running store, use there excellent knowledge and buy yourself some great shoes.

Out of 5 I am going to give these 4/5, the only reason it isn't 5/5 is that the price may be a bit off putting or too much for some people.
Summary: A well fitting shoe that is great on and off road.
This review may also appear on Ciao and Dooyoo under the username Qroo.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment