Wednesday 26 January 2011

Apple iPod Headphones


Advantages: Good sound quality, last for a long time.
Disadvantages: Cost, can be uncomfortable for some.
I don't think there has been a pair of headphones like these that at one point become a part of fashion. Wearing a pair of these white iPod headphones recently became the thing to be seen wearing as if you have a pair of these on, then you must have an iPod.

Being completely white in colour apart from a grey band on the ear piece, they have become a staple part of the Apple iPod brand image. On the adverts you see the white headphone cable against the blacked out bodies and instantly think iPod. Whoever decided to make it an integral part of the brand has done a brilliant job.

The headphone cable itself it about 90 cm long and about 1mm in diameter. It is a single cable until you get 2/3rd's of the way up the cable where it splits in two, one for each earpiece. The headphones plug in through a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. The actual earphones are white and grey with a metal surface that covers where the sound comes out. On the rear of the piece are 5 small holes. There is a small R and L for each ear designation.

The first thing I noticed that unlike other headphones, there is no soft cover or padding on the earpiece, it is all solid plastic. Initially this feels quite uncomfortable in your ear and is not that pleasant. After using them a few times it starts to get more comfortable until you don't notice it at all. I listen to quite a wide range of musical genres on my iPod so I feel I have heard most things that could come out of the earphones. I have found that the sound quality is very good for everything that I have tried through them. Mine are starting to get quite old and damaged now and the quality is as good as I remember it when I bought them. Despite the plastic cable cover starting to break, the headphones still work very well indeed.

Every time I have bought other pairs, I have always come back to these as anything else I have tried always breaks with ease, these have withstood everything I can throw at them. The only downside to these headphones is the price. To buy a pair new you would have to pay around £15 from the Apple store, maybe more! You can get headphones for £5-10 which initially will match the sound quality, but they won't match the build quality. With these headphones you are paying for a quality, robust build manufactured by a brand that delivers quality with all of its products.

Overall, these have to be rated 4/5 as the price is the only factor that may put me off buying a replacement pair when these eventually break. 

This review may also appear on Ciao and Dooyoo under the username Qroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment