Wednesday 19 January 2011

Unbeatable - Apple iPod (3G) 8GB


Advantages: Ease of use, perfect size, huge memory.
Disadvantages: No longer produced!
I've had my 3rd Generation Apple iPod Nano now for around 4 years and throughout this time I have had no problems with it at all. When purchasing, I decided to get the 8gb instead of the 4gb model as I had a growing music collection at the time.

The iPod works on the PC when connected up with the iTunes software, which is downloadable free of charge from the internet. From this program, you can upload all your music onto it, so it can act as a "Jukebox" on your computer. When you transfer music, you simply select which tracks you do and don't want on the iPod and it quickly transfers them over.

In the 8gb memory, I have 1836 songs on my iPod with 4.4Mb free space. This is a huge selection of songs and it means I can always listen to something different. With the music you can have the album artwork displayed as well. This does look nice, but I have chosen to turn this feature off as it takes up space on the iPod that I needed for music.

The iPod doesn't just do music though, you can add music videos, TV shows and films to it, all of which can be watched quite comfortably on the 2 inch colour screen. If you want to listen to podcasts then this is perfect for them as it can store many on it as well. Other features include a clock, calender, contacts, alarms, games, notes and a stopwatch. When synced to your computer you can download data for all these extras.

There are other mp3 players on the market that can offer the same memory for a lower price, but for what the brilliant functionality and ease of use that the iPod Nano offers, it is worth paying the extra for it. The iPod has become the world leader for portable music and this is due to the simple designs, easy computer synchronisation and the unbeatable sound quality that you get with the free headphones.

Sadly this model is no longer available for purchase as they have subsequently released the 4th and 5th generation Nano, which I believe are no match for this one. I find size is just right for carrying, especially when jogging or in the gym. If you look at the newer ones, they are either long and slim, not great for pockets or very small with a touch screen, which could be fiddly with sweaty hands.

Once this iPod eventually breaks (hopefully not for a few more years), I will definitely try and get another of this model just because I like it so much. I've tried other iPods and mp3 players in the past but none have been as good as this one.

If you want an iPod and can find someone who is selling this model then I would highly recommend it.
Summary: Best iPod to date.
Review can also be found on Dooyoo and Ciao under the username Qroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment