Monday 28 February 2011

Alberto VO5 Wet Look Styling Gel

Advantages: Holds it well, easily mouldable, "wet" look
Disadvantages: Loses hold in sweaty conditions, need to find right amount for your hair.
I only ever use gel occasionally now as I don't have that much time in the mornings and my hair gets messed up easily with swimming etc. I bought this when I started university a couple of years ago so when I went on nights out I was able to do something to my hair to look a bit decent. I opted to buy this gel as I had seen it used in my hairdressers and it seemed to work well.

The gel comes in a blue transparent tube made of soft plastic and a blue lid is on the bottom with a flip cap on it. On the front it has the name of the product in green and blue text which is quite hard to read. On the rear all the usual information can be found. The tube holds 200ml of the clear gel that is quite thick but has no discernible smell to it. The gel comes out the tube easily with just a slight squeeze of the tube.

It says on the rear that it can be applied directly to damp or dry hair and it should be worked from roots to tips before leaving to dry. I usually dry my hair before applying it, and when I follow the guidelines as that seems to work best. It is very easy to rub between your hands and hair and does not dry too quickly, which allows you to style/shape your hair. It took my quite a while to find the right amount to use as if you use too much then your hair feels like a rock, but too little and your hair looks floppy. I find that an amount about the size of 2 peas will be enough for my hair and keep it looking reasonably good all night. I find that the gel will hold my hair well until I get to a warm bar or club. As soon as I get a bit hot and sweaty then it starts to lose its hold and my hair turns into a bit of a mess.

As a gel, it works well once you have tried it a few times to find the right amount of it for you, however I don't find it the most practical if you enjoy going to hot bars and clubs as it doesn't last long at all. I've used it a few times during the day and it is okay and lasts a bit longer.

I think I paid about £2.50 for this from Tesco's a few years ago, and considering I have still have a third of a tube left it has lasted well. I would expect that it would last a lot less if you used it more than I do though. Overall I think it is only worth 3/5 as for my usual use of it, it doesn't last too long before losing the hold.
 
Summary: Reasonably good gel from a good brand.
This review may also appear on Ciao and Dooyoo under the username Qroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment