Monday 28 February 2011

Masterplug TM24 24 Hour Mechanical Timer

Advantages: Now available cheaply, good to help prevent burglars.
Disadvantages: None
I picked up one of these timer switches for free from the Police stand at my freshers fair 2 years ago and it has been very useful ever since.

It is made of a solid white plastic with black switches on the front to set the time for it to be on and off. There is a small red LED that lights up when the attached appliance is on. On the side there is a small flick switch that can turn the appliance always on or just on the timer mode. It measures 12cm x 7cm x 2cm, has space for one appliance to be plugged in and can be plugged into any standard British plug socket.

I didn't really use this much during my first year as I lived in halls and didn't have to pay for electricity so I could leave a light on without having to think of the bill. As I moved into a house I have used it a lot more as I have to think of the electricity bill now! If I am a away from the house for a few days, I will plug it into my lamp and have it turn on and off during the evening to help prevent burglaries. Whilst I am around, I set it to turn on in the morning when I have to get up so I can see what I'm doing. This is very helpful at the moment as it is still dark when I have to get up and so it saves me from waking into things! The timer can be set to 15 minute intervals of being on or off and it is very easy to set.

To set it, you first set the time by turning the whole dial to the correct time. To then set the appliance to turn on, you press down the small black switches at the times you want. You then flick the switch on the right to the bottom and it is done. It is that simple. At first I found it a bit confusing to use as I accidentally threw the instructions away, however after fiddling with it, it was sorted easily.

Time switches can be bought from most shops now quite cheaply and for the security and uses they can provide they are invaluable. If you are going away for a few days and don't want anyone to know you are gone, then buy a few of these and get them to turn lamps or radios on and off at intervals. An easy way to help prevent burglars.

I will give this 5/5 as it is an excellent gadget that has many uses around the home.
 
Summary: Great for many uses.
This review may also appear on Ciao and Dooyoo under the username Qroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment