Saturday 22 January 2011

Saedtler Triplus Fineliners - Brilliant for Students


Advantages: Last for ages, good range of colours, good transfer of ink.
Disadvantages: Price, tips round off eventually
As a student, having a pen is a vital part of being able to take notes, but having different coloured pens can help you actually remember what you write. I bought a pack of 10 Staedtler Fibre Tip coloured pens from the Rymans stationary shop on campus in my first year of university (2008) and got to using them straight away.

In the pack are ten different colours, which are: Yellow, Orange, Pink, Green, Lime Green, Red, Blue, Light Blue, Brown and Black. Each pen has a tip with a 0.3mm fibre point on the end which allows you to write thin but very legible lines and words very easily. You can apply a reasonable amount of pressure when writing without the tip breaking or splitting. The pens are not your standard round barrel type, they have a triangular barrel, which according to the manufacturers is much more ergonomically comfortable. I have found this to be the case as they are very comfortable to use and when I have been using them for a while I don't feel any pains or cramps in my hand.

Each pen is 16cm long and comes in a plastic pack to store them in. When you open the pack, the lid folds back to make a stand to hold the pens up. This is quite useful as the pens then slot in and out of the pack very easily.

One important point to make with these pens is the transfer onto the paper. Unlike cheaper fine line pens that I have tried before, all of the colours provide an excellent transfer of ink onto the paper in colours that actually match the lids. This is very important for me as I like to use a lot of different colours in my revision notes (makes it slightly more interesting!). When you buy the pens new, the tips on each pen are all very precise and "sharp", however after a couple of years use, I have found that some of the more used pens have started to have there tips rounded off, which when writing makes the line a bit thicker than the 0.3mm stated on the pack.

When I bought these, I paid around £6 for them, which at the time I felt was quite a lot of money. Looking back now, I see it as a well worthwhile investment two years on they are still working well and none of them have ran out of ink. Looking on Amazon today, I have found that the RRP is apparently £10.46 which I find quite hard to believe.

If you are a student or just need some good quality fine liners then I would highly recommend these to you. The reason I have given them only 4 stars is because the tips do eventually round off and the price is relatively high.
Summary: Makes student note taking more interesting
 This review may also appear on Ciao and Dooyoo under the username Qroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment