Thursday 20 January 2011

Ultraloc Super Glue - It's Rather Sticky!


Advantages: Very strong bonding, nice and cheap.
Disadvantages: Hard to control amount of glue dispensed.
I've bought this glue in the past from my local Home Bargains store as they sell it for the bargain price of 49p a tube, which cannot be beaten. According to there website, this is the strongest superglue around.

I have used this mainly to stick metal miniature figures together, which as you would expect requires precision and careful drip rate control as too much glue in the wrong place can ruin a figure instantly. The glue comes in a simple metal tube with a plastic nozzle and plastic cap. The cap is meant to have a unique anti clogging system that should keep it fresh time after time. I have found that for the first few uses the glue and cap stay in great condition however when a bit of glue gets spilt on the nozzle then this will glue the cap and nozzle together very quickly if not cleaned up.

The nozzle has a small opening at the top, roughly three quarters of a millimetre in diameter. This makes application in the desired area relatively accurate. The problem I found was controlling how much glue goes where you want it as squeezing the metal tube can sometimes produce a lot or a tiny amount of glue. Generally it is okay, but there has been the occasion where a lot of glue has spurted out in one go and covered me in the glue. Trying to un-stick your fingers from each other isn't the most pleasant thing to be doing!

The "anti clogging" system that is apparently in the cap does seem to work well as it rarely clogs up, unless some dust is in the hole. This can be easily cleaned out with a toothpick though.

Overall, the sticking ability of the glue seems very good. When used with metal on metal, the hold of the glue is very good and it takes some force to separate the two parts. I can assume that this binding power would be transferred to other applications.

To conclude, for the low price of 49p a tube, this glue is exceptional value to for money. A tube, depending on the regularity of use can last ages and doesn't seem to go "off" or dry out. Therefore due to the price and its great sticking power, I am going to give this glue a 4/5. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who needs it!
Summary: Great value for money.
This review may also appear on Dooyoo and Ciao under the username Qroo.

2 comments:

  1. What can I say?! Well in a nutshell...Really fantastic glue. I have used it on 85% of my model Spitfire gluing up the various parts, I find it very quick and easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ultrloc really is amazing. I'd tried three other types of super glue and they all took a while to bond. Ultaloc Bonds pretty much instantly and I’ve never accidentally glued myself to anything either

    ReplyDelete